Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My letter to the Detroit Zoo

On Sunday, July 6th, 2008 I visited the Detroit Zoo for the first time. It was an enjoyable experience, except for the black bear exhibit. I was very upset by the repetitious pacing of one of the bears. I don't know the psychology behind the pacing, but I feel certain that that bear was disturbed. I want you to know that I had to turn away from that bear and hold back tears. My daughter did not know that there was anything wrong, but I think many of your adult guests feel as I do. Something should be done to help the bear. Either make it less miserable or send it somewhere where it can be happy, as it tainted what was otherwise a fine day with sadness.

I appreciate you taking my opinion in to consideration.

Kim Arnold


Black Bear

I would have taken more pics of this bear, but I seriously would have started crying. The other one was happily chewing on something in the shade. This one was on the edge of the exhibit, probably hoping every time it turned it would slip and fall in to the ditch they dug to keep him in.

2 comments:

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

I sent a reply to the Zoo, as well, dear. I hope this animal gets the care it deserves.

Mr E. said...

I am tring to remember if that is Hams or Hans the Bear (From the beer company) or the circus bear. Either way, it is my understanding that he/she paces due to being a performing bear and still feels the need to "perform" (pace). I would be interested in what the zoo has to say about this bear.