Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

I think back to September 11th, 2001, often. Not like an obsession, but....

I don't know how it changed anyone else, but for me it made me realize that the sense of security was false and anything could happen any time. Just like the way my car accident taught me that your life can be altered in 2 seconds of shocking metal crunching, the terrorist attack taught me that it can happen here, and there's nothing I can do about it. I was in Boston that day, close to the airport. I felt very vulnerable. It could have been worse. We are lucky that our lives have gone back to normal.

Oh yeah, 9/11 also made me feel patriotism. I suddenly felt like a small part of a greater whole, The United States of America. I wanted to fly a flag, not because everyone was doing it, but because the flag meant something to me for the first time.

I don't know what I can do about those events 7 years ago, but I remember and mourn the lives lost, and the innocence lost that day. I also say thank you to the people who are keeping me as safe as they can.

No comments: