Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Boycotts

I kinda want to spend a day on this and I bet I would still not be done, but I will start. My thought here is that it seems like there is a good reason to boycott so many businesses. For instance:

( http://www.iamscruelty.com/ )Iams and P&G Cause Animals to Suffer Needlessly For nearly 10 months in 2002 and early 2003, a PETA investigator went undercover at an Iams contract testing laboratory, where a dark, sordid secret was discovered beneath the dog- and cat-food manufacturer’s wholesome image. Our investigator found dogs who had gone crazy from intense confinement in barren steel cages and cement cells, dogs who had been left on a filthy paint-chipped floor after chunks of muscle had been hacked from their thighs, dogs who had been surgically debarked, and horribly sick dogs and cats who were languishing in their cages, neglected and left to suffer without veterinary care.

Therefore boycott: (X means I use at least occasionally)


Febreze Air Fresheners
Old Spice
Secret X
Charmin X
Dreft
Luvs
Pampers
Puffs X
Duracell X
Ivory
Noxzema
Olay X
Safeguard
Zest
CoverGirl X
Max Factor X
Cascade X
Dawn X
Joy
Always X
Tampax X
Aussie X
Head & Shoulders
Herbal Essences
Infusium 23
Pantene
Clairol
Align
Braun
Fibersure
Metamucil
Pepto-Bismol
Prilosec OTC
ThermaCare
Vicks X
Bounty X
Mr. Clean
Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash
Swiffer
Bounce X
Cheer
Downy X
Era
Gain
Tide X
Crest
Fixodent
Gleem
Scope
Oral-B
Eukanuba
Iams
Actonel
Asacol
Dantrium
Dantrium IV
Didronel
Enablex
Macrobid
Macrodantin
BOSS
bruno banani
ESCADA
GhostGiorgio Beverly Hills
Valentino
Braun
Gillette X
Noxzema
Folgers
Home Café
Millstone
Pringles X

OK, yikes. I use a LOT of P & G products!!

And how about THIS:

avoid buying products and services from countries that aren't free (where sweatshops are generally common and environmental standards are usually low).

AND:

avoid eating processed foods and don't eat anything that has been injected with anything or sprayed with anything. Don't eat animals.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Boycott WALMART! Cuts costs=harm others.

So, I'm thinking all of these things are good. Boycotting these things would make life better for someone, thought not me usually. I like the idea of living in a clearing somewhere surrounded by woods with a garden that would sustain my family all year round. We would have a well and a spring and make our own clothes. But then I think... but Domino's doesn't deliver to the woods so never mind.

And dammit doesn't it kinda suck that you can type in pretty much anything and someone will tell you why you shouldn't use/consume it. I want to be a good person and do my part I guess, but at what cost and is it for a good enough reason? Should I feel like an asshole for using my Gillette razor and my Aussie shampoo that I love so? Dangit.

3 comments:

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it? There are plenty of cruelty free alternatives to the things that you use, dear. Indeed, chances are you can be more in tune with morals and save money...

cassdawn said...

you do what you can and throw your hands up at the rest.

for instance - never never never never eat domino's. tom monaghan supports operation rescue. now being anti-choice is one thing but supporting killing doctors and other clinic workers to prove the point is um, what's the name for that, um, sheesh it's right there . .. oh, yeah, terrorism.

'Course if you really wanted to boycott Tom Monaghan you'd have to boycott the Tigers too . . . :)

But don't feel like an asshole for the shampoo you use - there are so many more tangible reasons for you to realize your assholitude. kiskiss

chris said...

oh goddammit! You need to put a warning on your blog for your mother!. I quit reading early on so as not to traumaatize myself.