Monday, August 18, 2008

Fatties

So my drive thru idea needs a little more explanation I think.

My target group are people like me. Fat, hating it, and too lazy to do anything about it. Perfect for Michigan.

My menu structure will take the work out of eating right. The food will appeal to people who live to eat, as opposed to people in HI, who eat to live. The meals will be under a certain number of fat grams, calories and sodium. The meals will be properly proportioned. There will be a veggie category, a carb category and a protein category to choose from. There might be a dessert you can add on, that will be small and fairly healthy as well. If someone ate at my drive thru for all 3 meals they would either lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.

The menu would be simple, with maybe 4 choices in each category, plus an extra choice in each category that will change daily, so you will have variety, but can also count on having something to fall back on if you don't like the daily special.

This is my first time writing this down, so keep that in mind when reading and of course suggestions are welcome:

Group A
Veggies

Garden salad - small dressing portions
Mixed steamed veggies - lightly seasoned
Steamed broccoli - yum!

Group B
Carbs

Baked potato - small portion butter/sour cream on the side
Baked Sweet potato fries - anyone try these?
Seasonal fruit bowl - mmm... pineapple, melons, Michigan cherries...

Group C
Protein

Skinless seasoned chicken - juicy and hot
Tofu something - beats me but I need something vegetarian... oh some veggie burgers age good!
lean beef tips maybe?

So those are some ideas for the stuff that's always there. You pick A, B, and C and pay a flat rate. I was thinking 4 in each category, but I gotta get back to work. Maybe there could be something that was all 3 in 1 pot... stew. Plus don't forget the daily special food to add... maybe that's enough.

13 comments:

Joe C said...

I think the big issue is getting people to conform to smaller portion sizes and slowing down when eating. People's minds don't get the signal from the stomach that they're full for like 10 min or something. Eating slower and ingesting more water in between bites would do a lot to help our region and country possibly get on a healthier path.

Then again, that would also assume that people gave a damn enough to get in some exercise in their lives.

Our country is so lazy.

Cindy-Lou said...

I think it's a great idea, because I definitely have those days when I just don't want to cook (or I have nothing in the house to cook) but I really don't want pizza or fast food AGAIN. Especially when you have a 7 year old on your ass to feed them RIGHT NOW. Damn kids, always needing something.

cassdawn said...

i think financially it would be more successful if you tarted a diet center with it. iow - have like a weight watchers type atmosphere and people by blocks of meals along with a book or something like that. and then additioanlly you would be open to the rest of the public.

the reason i say this is that i just don't believe that a lack of quick healthy food just isn't the biggest obstacle. so i don't see your target audience choosing it often enough. i could be wrong.

the reason i pointed out what i did about HI etc is because i think your restaurant would appeal perfectly to someone like *me* who already likes/prefers healthy food, is a little overweight and just wants something quick and prepared that doesn't undo what i do at home.

all of this would benefit immensely from some sort of sponsorship or medical stamp or soemthing. if you are really serious about it you should contact someone in weight watchers corporate and tell them that you want to take their menu (enhanced) to the drive thru - as i said before it is an idea whose time has definitely come and you could get your funding out of it that way. coure - where it's my idea i would have to get a cut :)

speaking of funding you should also check with the township =- there may be financial incentives if they are looking to revitalize the area.

Krissyface said...

Goddamn, Kim, you need to put this into action. But there needs to be a walkup option for those of us too poor to have cars. Gas is dang expensive right now.

cassdawn said...

oh yeah, you also want to check with the city about surplus properties. for instance there is one i was just notified about (i signed up to be notified) you make a proposal what you are going to do with it and agree to lease it for x years at a RIDICULOUSLY low rate (this one is 1200 per year) and they let ya use it.

Joe C said...

cassdawn - Whose job is it to recover/keep the structure up to code, though?

Anonymous said...

My opinion on the menu...stay away from veggie burgers! They are full of fat. Try something along the lines of beans instead of meat for the veggie lovers. A burrito with black beans, cheese (light cheese), lettuce, tomatoes..ect would be a good alternative to a burger. Just my two cents.

cassdawn said...

andrea - all depends - boca original vegan= 1/2 a gram of fat / boca cheee is 4.5 grams but . . . well, it has cheese.

joec - honestly not sure cuz i changed my mind about looking into it. i imagine that it would depend on how desperate they were to keep the property that kind of thing. what i mean is - the one property i wanted to look at is an 1800s fire house. if they are both desperate to revive the neighborhood and keep the historical value i imagine that you wouldn't be entirely responsible. around here if your house is a certain age/type you can register it and the city will give you financial aid for repairs etc. - - now of course you have to conform to historically consistent renovations. WOW - that was an awful lot to say 'i don't know'. my point is - it could be worth it. that guy in the crazy question mark coat is right . . . :)

chris said...

this is the second time trying to comment. My cursor jumps around, then i end up off this screen altogether. Hoping this is a website glitch cuz since mark did a "laying on of hands" last night, Ive been able to get back to the land of net. Boy but I gotta keep an eye on this window. I just found myself blogging and had to erase 5 min of typing. anyway, I am just so excited that you are excited about this. I know it's a great idea. Everyone has great ideas and concerns-things I never thought about. I'm sure theres a lot to consider. But I just keep thinking about my friend in FL who did a take out health lunch business from her kitchen; word of mouth advertising, just her and her motorcycle delivery. I'm not even sure she had a license. She got so busy she had to quit it cuz, the only thing she overlooked was expansion. It just seems that when you get an idea whose time has come, combined with a passion, the universe just opens up with solutions.ok, i have to go-this thing is jumping all over the place and pissing me off.

Joe C said...

Could be a dirty mouse.

Have Mark install and run Ccleaner.

If he needs assistance on that, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Today I'm doing a chicken pot pie. :) Personally, I've dropped 25 pounds in the past year, but that was strictly a result of extreme poorness caused by being in grad school.

kimberkara said...

I did well on the ramen noodle diet while in college. I was so sick of ramen I was happier not eating most of the time. Hmm.. maybe I should go back to school.

Joe C said...

I ate ramen for six months, at least once everyday.

It makes me vomit.

I, too, should be on the ramen diet.