Friday, October 24, 2008

Gramma

My gramma had a strong hand in raising me. She was often my guardian and always a mom. She took care of me the best her twisted mind could manage and I always felt that wherever she was was home. She could also drive my nuts. She created my buttons and I swear she enjoyed pushing them!

I visited my gramma in the hospital today. She'll be 90 on March 30th. Well, I kinda doubt she will make it to her next birthday. This is not the first time I have thought that, along with the rest of the family, but this is the first time I hope she will not make it.

I love my gramma and hope that her miserable life will end soon. Part of me wants her to stick around - blind, deaf, pained, crippled, incontinent... miserable, just so I don't have to deal with losing her. That selfish part of me no longer has a loud voice.

I don't know what's wrong with her this time. Maybe a stroke, maybe internal bleeding. She had a couple moments of clarity today, but mostly she was saying a few odd words and then trailing off. She was thirsty and in pain and I took care of that. My uncle showed up about an hour after I got there and I left him to watch her for a while.

I will leave work a little early today, grab Sadie, and take her in so Gramma can see her. She was asking for her.

Update: She is still fucking with me. Looks like cancer and this is it. She just had to go and do it when I was PMSing. I'm a mess.

4 comments:

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

I wish I knew what to say. I don't. I hope you know I care, and that I am sorry I am not at all good with this.

kimberkara said...

Lucky for you I don't like a lot of comfort when I am upset. :)
I will tell you what I need - no worries.

Andrea said...

I am sorry. :(

You know I will be there for whatever.

Krissyface said...

I'm sorry, Kim.
It is so hard watching people we love get old. Life can be so freaking cruel.

On the upside, this was a beautiful post with some great humor thrown in...