Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Life is boring 'till it becomes tha past - FT. Lauderdale

I was talking to Mark last night and told him a little story that took place in Kansas City, MO.

I think I have been bored pretty much my whole life. Does everyone feel like that? I have a very unremarkable life. Yes, I have moved a lot, suffered, loved, learned, played, experimented... but it's just life and if it's happening, it's normal and pretty much booooring. Then, many years later the experiences become stories and sometimes interesting, well at least to me.

I feel like wasting some time and telling a tale, but I can't think of a good one. Hmmm.... Ft. Lauderdale? OK

I lived with my Uncle Don and gramma when I was 10. No Wait, I was living with... my mom and Gary - for the summer. Uncle Don partnered up with Joe and started a home improvement business in Woodhaven, MI. Apparently Joe was a cokehead and they committed some sort of tax fraud and I believe there may have been a fire at the end. Uncle Don packed up and moved down to Ft. Lauderdale. The summer between 5th and 6th grade we packed up some shitty old van and a pickup truck with a cap and headed down to FL. There was mom, Gary (Aarons Dad), Gramma, brothers Jesse and Aaron, and myself.
God, the trip is a story in itself. We towed the packed pickup with the van, everything full to the top... reminds me of the Beverly hillbillies moving scene. We overheated constantly as soon as we got to the smoky mountains. It was the middle of the summer, south, and we ran the heat at full blast to keep driving a little longer before we had to stop and cool the van off. Gary was a prick and insisted on silence while he drove. I was 10, Jesse was 6 and Aaron was 6 months old. The drive from Michigan to Florida took forEVER, but finally we arrived to our efficiency motel, where we lived for the next 6 months or so. It was 1 room, with 7 people. Plus the palmetto bugs, of course.

Gosh, that was long enough, eh? Maybe I will tell another Ft. Lauderdale story tomorrow, as I have a butload of work to do.

1 comment:

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

... Your stories are NEVER boring, dear. I just wish I had some to tell you. My childhood basically consisted of hiding.