Friday, April 25, 2008

The Sewers of KCMO

I went to college in Kansas City, MO, at the Kansas City Art Institute. Most students that attended were just as poor as I was. We were lucky enough to be grungy when it was popular and none of us had a car. KCAI was located in a great spot, between The Plaza and Westport. When you put a bunch of creative, poor and bored kids together in KC you get fun! We used to climb the many towers of the plaza, skinny dip at the country club pool, dumpster dive, raid the fountains for change, steal random stuff like construction cones and christmas lights, foam the fountains, break into abandoned buildings, and run under the city in the sewers. There are so many stories... exploring Union Station, playing in Sharper Image on acid, flirting with the museum cameras at the Nelson/Atkins... sometime I wish I could go back and I still dream of KC, but I would have to unlearn what I learned during that time to have the same experiences. I am older and wiser and boring now! Would I run through the sewers again given the chance? I would like the opportunity. Maybe not the sewers in KC, but something exciting and silly and fun... and legal.

1 comment:

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

There's the renaissance festival in September... Jessica, Danielle, Damien, Peggy, Brian, Kevin, and I went there on my birthday last year. It's exciting, fun, and legal... and you can dress like a wench.